Ansonia residents, students, and educators had been ripping a $600,000 cut to the school district’s budget for more than 45 minutes at the Armory Thursday when First Ward Alderman Phil Tripp took the floor and promptly upped the ante.
Ansonia’s Board of Education has filed a lawsuit asking a judge to prevent the city from taking $600,000 from the school board’s budget for 2017-2018.
A marshal served city officials with the lawsuit Wednesday (May 16) afternoon, ending weeks of debate among Board of Education members about whether or not to sue the city over a vote by Aldermen in January to cut the school district’s budget in the middle of the year.
A man was shot in Ansonia’s north end Thursday night.
In a prepared statement, Ansonia Police Lt. Patrick Lynch said police were called to the intersection of Fifth and Star streets about 8 p.m. after the shooting was reported.
“The victim, a 27-year-old male, was shot once in the lower body while inside a vehicle and then drove himself to the hospital,” Lynch said. “The victim was treated for non-life threatening injuries and released from the hospital.”
by Frank DeLibero | GUEST COLUMN | Jun 20, 2017 4:26 pm
Board of Education Commissioner Scarlata’s recent column is both inaccurate and frankly disrespectful to Ansonia residents who struggle to pay the taxes that support our schools.
Yes, the State of Connecticut does provide financial support to our school district, though the funding provided has been short by millions each year.
Ansonia taxpayers, however, are obligated to fund over $16 million per year as a local share, an amount that climbed a record 3.7 percent of their total budget (approximately $3.2 million) over the past 3 years.