Follow Us

Twitter

Ansonia Storm Update: More Than 30 Cars Towed

by STAFF | Mar 14, 2017 12:18 pm

( ) Log in Facebook to Post a Comment | E-mail the Author

Posted to: Ansonia

Ansonia Mayor David Cassetti said about noon Tuesday that public works crews had been able to keep up with the storm so far due to people moving their cars off the street.

“I have to commend the residents,” he said, noting that Howard Avenue, and Grove Street were clear of vehicles.

The mayor said police towed 35 cars after announcing a parking ban that began at 6 p.m. Monday.

“We were very serious,” Cassetti said. “This is a huge storm.”

Cassetti said crews have been plowing since 3 a.m.

“I drove the wards early this morning,” he said. “I was very impressed with the streets, how clear they were.”

He said plow trucks have been running in teams of two in particularly troublesome spots.

He said firefighters are also working — after a particularly busy weekend — to clear hydrants and be ready for any emergencies.

The mayor said plow trucks would be detailed to make the way for emergency responders if need be.

But so far he said there haven’t been any surprises.

“It’s on schedule. It’s coming and there’s more to come,” Cassetti said. “We just want to break through this. We’re at the halfway point and I’m hoping by six o’clock it’s over.”

Cassetti said city officials have been meeting in the city’s Emergency Operations Center at the police department since early morning.

They’re also coordinating with state officials via conference calls with Gov. Dannel Malloy’s office.

The mayor said he’d send out more updates to residents via the Code Red message system.

Share this story with others.

Share |

Comments

Events Calendar

PosterWallAdd your Poster

Sponsors

Knight Foundation Valley Foundation The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven

Sponsors have no input into or responsibility for articles published on this site.

V.I.S. Site Design & Development

smartpill design