Derby’s Kiley Rodriguez Earns Scholarship To CCSU
by Press Release | Apr 18, 2017 12:39 pm
Posted to: Derby
Derby High School’s Kiley Rodriguez officially signed a national letter of intent Monday to run both cross country and track & field for Central Connecticut State University, a NCAA Division I school.
Kiley will be running at CCSU on an athletic scholarship that will cover tuition costs.
Before Kiley signed on the dotted line at a ceremony at the high school, Derby cross country and track & field coach Nick DiLuggo said Kiley has come a long way since getting involved in running as a seventh-grader at the middle school.
In those days she had to stop after running short distances.
“Since those early years, she has developed into one of the best distance runners in Connecticut,” DiLuggo said. “More importantly, Kiley has developed the personal will to achieve her goals, regardless of the obstacles standing in her way.”
Kiley is an inspiration to Derby, her coach said.
“As Kiley signs her national letter of intent, she once again proves to not only herself, but to those around us, that kids from Derby can achieve anything through hard work and determination. Her example will inspire runners for years to come,” he said.
Kiley will be following in the footsteps of former Derby High School state champion and newly inducted Derby High School Athletic Hall of Famer Jim Keefe.
He also ran for CCSU in the early 1960s, earning All-American accolades in the process.
Keefe was at Monday’s ceremony to support Kiley and to wish her luck at CCSU.
“We thank Jim for taking time away from his family and obligations to come home to Derby High School for this momentous honor,” the Derby Running Club said in a prepared statement.
Editor’s Note: Kiley (below, on right) and teacher/running coach Jenny Ames (on left) were guests last year on “Valley Sports Rewind,” a podcast produced by the Valley Indy. It is embedded below. The article continues after the podcast and photo.
While Kiley will be running for the Blue Devils next year, she will forever be a Derby Red Raider.
Here is a list of Kiley’s accomplishments, as provided by the Derby Running Club.
· All-NVL Cross Country 2013, 2015, 2016
· NVL’s Outstanding Cross Country Senior Runner 2016
· 2016 Class S Cross Country All-State
· 2015 / 2016 NVL Team Cross Country Champion
· 2016 Class S Cross Country Team Champion
· 2014 / 2015 Class S Cross Country Team Runner-Up
· 2014 NVL Indoor Track 1600 meter and 3200 meter champion
· 2015 NVL Indoor Track 1600 meter champion
· 2016 NVL Indoor Track 1600 meter, 3200 meter and 4×800 meter relay Champion
· 2017 NVL Indoor Track 1000 meter, 1600 meter, and 3200 meter Champion
· 2014 NVL Indoor Track Championship Outstanding Female Performer
· 2016 NVL Indoor Track Championship Outstanding Female Performer
· 2017 NVL Indoor Track Championship Outstanding Female Performer
· 2017 NVL Indoor Track Championship Outstanding Female Senior
· 2017 Class S Championships 3rd place medalist 1000 meters
· 2017 CT State Open Championships 6th place medalist 1000 meters (and NE qualifier)
· 2015 NVL Outdoor Track Champion 3200 meters and 4×800 relay
· 2016 NVL Outdoor Track Champion 3200 meters
· Holds two individual school records (DHS Indoor 1600 and 3200) and is a member of four DHS record setting relays