Follow Us

Twitter

UPDATE: Woman Injured In Seymour House Fire

by Eugene Driscoll | Apr 20, 2017 5:59 am

() | Commenting has expired | | E-mail the Author

Posted to: Seymour

A woman was taken to Griffin Hospital after being burned in a fire in Seymour early Thursday.

The woman’s injury is not life-threatening.

Firefighters received 911 calls at 12:45 a.m. reporting a house fire at 165 West St.

The initial report indicated people were trapped inside.

However, the five people who lived in the multi-family house were outside when firefighters arrived. Two cats also made it out alive.

The woman was preparing a late-night snack when a fire started atop her stove. The flames quickly spread to the wall and to a porch outside her second-story apartment.

The woman was burned on her shoulder/back area. The fact she was taken to Griffin Hospital instead of the burn center at Bridgeport Hospital indicates her injury is relatively minor.

The fire was in a two-story apartment house. There were two apartments on the first floor, and two apartments on the second floor. Five people were inside the house when the fire started.

According to Seymour Deputy Fire Marshal Timm Willis, the woman’s neighbor on the second floor was woken by a smoke alarm. He got out of bed, looked outside and saw the porch burning.

The first fire crews on scene saw flames on the rear, second-story porch. Flames could also be seen coming out of three windows.

Photos and videos posted to social media show heavy fire:




The fire made its way to the attic, which crews initially had trouble accessing. The house is at least 100 years old, according to tax records.

It took about 45 minutes to get the fire under control. Firefighters remained on scene until dawn.

The tenants were either staying with relatives or being assisted by the Red Cross.

The second floor sustained heavy smoke, fire and water damage. The first floor had major water damage.

About 50 firefighters responded. Crews were also sent from Beacon Falls and Oxford.

Willis stressed the importance of having working smoke alarms.

“The smoke alarms definitely saved lives in Seymour this morning,” Willis said.

—————
Please donate to The Valley Indy during The Great Give May 2 and May 3.

Share this story with others.

Share |

Comments

There were no comments

Events Calendar

PosterWallAdd your Poster

Sponsors

Knight Foundation Valley Foundation The Community Foundation for Greater New Haven

Sponsors have no input into or responsibility for articles published on this site.

V.I.S. Site Design & Development

smartpill design