Prosecutor: ‘New Allegations’ Made Against Shelton Sex Assault Suspect

SHELTON A local man charged last year with plying a 12-year-old girl with cash and gifts in exchange for sex may face new charges.

The man, 39-year-old Adam Besaw, was charged last June with first-degree sexual assault, two counts of second-degree sexual assault, and four counts of risk of injury to a minor.

According to an arrest warrant, Besaw allegedly gave the child money and gifts, and sexually assaulted her on numerous occasions.

Besaw has pleaded not guilty to the charges and has been released after posting $250,000 bond in the case.

But he could be facing new charges.

At a court appearance last month, a prosecutor said more allegations against Besaw have surfaced.

“People are coming forward making new allegations against the defendant,” the prosecutor, Amy Bepko, said in court.

The prosecutor did not offer any other details, other than that the new allegations are being investigated.

“Whether or not they are prosecutable I am not sure, but they are claims the state is looking into and needs to know if they are something the state has to consider in its prosecution here or not,” Bepko said.

Shelton police spokesman Detective Christopher Nugent said Shelton cops aren’t investigating any new allegations against Besaw, but that other departments could be.

The arrest warrant against Besaw says he was also investigated for allegedly sexually assaulting a girl he knew in New Jersey in 2016 but the case was closed with no arrest made.


Besaw is next scheduled to appear at Superior Court in Milford Sept. 20.

Comments