Seymour emergency crews and state environmental agents were at T&M Paving at 292 Roosevelt Drive for most of the day Friday after a mishap involving a propane tank.
There were no injuries reported. T&M Paving is next to the Inn at Villa Bianca.
According to information from the state Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, a piece of equipment smacked a pipe that fed a 1,000 gallon underground propane storage tank.
The accident caused a minor propane leak.
Since the pipe couldn’t be repaired, a propane contractor started the slow process of burning off the gas in the tank Friday afternoon.
Propane tanks have a safety feature which allows the gas to be burned off in a controlled procedure.
It can look quite dramatic, as these pictures from a training drill in Derby show.
The fire department had at least one motorist call 911 to report the propane burn off because it looked like a chimney fire from busy Roosevelt Avenue.
A DEEP spokesman said the situation was monitored by members of the Seymour Fire Department and DEEP haz-mat staff.
Roosevelt Drive was never closed and there was no impact on the environment, according to DEEP.
However, reader Doug Zaniewski on Facebook said the road was closed Friday morning for an hour.
Messages seeking comment from the fire department’s incident commander were left Friday. We’ll update the story if we receive more information.