Ansonia students spoke from their hearts Friday at a Veterans Day ceremony next to Ansonia City Hall.
“Our troops risked their lives every day for our protection and freedom,” said Mead School fourth grader Jacob Thompson. “Because of our troops our country has freedoms other countries don’t have. I can play in the park safely. I can eat safely. I can sleep without worry.”
The students explained what Veterans Day meant to them, and thanked veterans for their service.
The following students spoke during the ceremony:
- Jamal Hanaif, Prendergast School second grader
- Mary-Kate Coniku, Prendergast School sixth grader
- Jacob Thompson, Mead School fourth grader
- Gracen Kerr, Mead School fifth grader
- Bryson Cafaro, Ansonia Middle School seventh grader
- Sean Coyle, Ansonia Middle School eight grader and a member of the United States Naval Sea Cadet Corps
- Kevin De La Cruz, an Ansonia High School junior
Click play on the video above to see excerpts from each student’s speech.