An Ansonia restaurant is closed until further notice because of water damage caused when sprinklers doused a small fire in an apartment within the building over the weekend, according to officials.
An announcement posted Monday morning to Molto Bene Italian American Kitchen’s Facebook page said the restaurant was significantly damaged during the incident.
Molto Bene is at 557 Wakelee Ave.
“We thank everyone for your patience during this time as we decide how to deal with this unfortunate situation,” the message read.
Mayor David Cassetti said Police Chief Kevin Hale called him over the weekend to notify him of the incident.
“There was a fire in the apartment up above the restaurant,” Cassetti said.
Hale said a small fire occurred above the restaurant sometime after the eatery closed Saturday.
The damage wasn’t discovered until Sunday morning.
By the time emergency responders were called to respond “there was no fire,” the chief said. “There had been, but then the sprinklers kicked on, and they just kept going.”
No injuries were reported, Hale said.
The Valley Indy left messages with Fire Chief Scott Trembley and the fire marshal’s office, as well as with the restaurant.
Molto Bene has been plugging along, despite the fact the property owner plastered a large “for sale” sign outside the place. The restaurant leases the space from the property owner.
In January, one of the restaurant’s owners told the Valley Indy they thought they would have to close last August, but reached a compromise with the property’s new owner allowing them to remain open until it sells — with a 90-day clause allowing them to honor parties already booked.