A former Seymour High School student athlete was charged last month with sexually assaulting a fellow student in 2015, police announced Thursday.
The suspect was charged Dec. 17, 2018 after police secured a warrant for his arrest.
Police released limited information about the incident, the rumors of which have been circulating for months.
The suspect’s name was not released because the incident is alleged to have happened in August 2015, when the suspect was a minor. Police did not say how old the suspect is today.
Court documents will not shed light on the alleged crime because the suspect was charged as a minor so the case is being handled by the juvenile court in Waterbury.
The suspect has been charged with third-degree sexual assault, third-degree assault, second-degree reckless endangerment, and risk of injury to a minor.
According to police, both the victim and the suspect were Seymour High School football players at the time of the assault. Police said they did not learn about the attack until May 2018, when they were notified by the Department of Children and Families, a state agency.
The prepared statement points out that the alleged sexual assault was a “onetime incident” and was “not part of a hazing or annual ritual.”
Police also said they do not expect to make additional arrests.
An email was sent late Thursday to school officials asking whether any disciplinary action had been taken against any employees in connection to the incident, and an additional email was sent to Seymour police seeking more information about the suspect. The initial statement from police contained conflicting information.
Neither Seymour police nor the school district had responded to requests for comment by Jan. 8.