Shelton police say a Seymour man upset with his daughter’s boyfriend paid someone to accuse the boyfriend of a knifepoint robbery.
The Seymour man, 47-year-old Philip Prokop, was charged Thursday with second-degree conspiracy to give a false statement. He was released after posting a $5,000 bond and is due in court Sept. 21.
Police said additional arrests are expected.
According to a prepared statement from Detective Richard Bango, Shelton cops became involved in the case July 13, when a 20-year-old man filed an armed robbery complaint against a Shelton man.
The 20-year-old “stated that he was robbed at knifepoint by the man and gave a sworn written statement and picked the man out of a lineup,” Bango said.
But as detectives investigated, Bango said, it was revealed that Prokop and his mother paid the man to file the complaint.
The statement does not go into details about how police figured out the complaint was phony.
“During the investigation it was learned that Prokop was upset because his daughter was dating the accused Shelton man,” Bango said. “Prokop then came up with a plan to have the boyfriend arrested for armed robbery in the hopes he would be arrested and subsequently sent to jail.”
Prokop was arrested previously in 2012 — for allegedly paying a 17-year-old $21 to beat up a 13-year-old girl he said was bullying his daughter.